Issues regarding the children are often the most worrying and at Watson Ramsbottom we pride ourselves on finding the best possible solution to your situation in the quickest time possible. Often we will make an emergency application regarding the children the same day so as to ensure the best interests of the children are protected. We will ensure that you are kept fully informed and always take your concerns seriously – you are best placed to know what is best for your children after all.

We have fought and succeeded for many clients in this area including mothers, fathers, grandparents, step-parents and other family members in relation to Contact (formerly access) including enforcing contact orders and preventing contact, Residence (formerly custody), Prohibited steps, Specific issue orders, Child abduction cases, Permission to remove from the jurisdiction and Change of name applications.

Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility allows a parent to make important decisions for a child such as which school they should attend, what surname they should have and to give consent to medical treatment. It is a concept involving the status of a parent. It is generally only an issue where the parents of children have not been married. The mother of the child automatically has parental responsibility for her child. However the father of the child does not automatically have parental responsibility.

Where a child is born before 1st December 2003 and the parties are not married, the father does not automatically acquire parental responsibility.

Where a child is born after the 1st December 2003, the father will automatically acquire parental responsibility, but only where he is registered as the child’s father on the birth certificate.

Where the father does not have parental responsibility, the father and mother may agree that the father has parental responsibility and enter into a formal agreement confirming this. However, if it is disputed, the father may have to apply for a Parental Responsibility Order. It is also possible in some cases for the non parental carer (e.g. grandparent) to obtain Parental Responsibility. As in all other cases, the interests of the child will be regarded as of primary importance in determining whether such an Order should be made.

Financial maintenance is very rarely dealt with by the court. You can use the Child Maintenance Calculator on the website at this link to calculate a maintenance estimate. Please contact us if you require further advice.

Please fill in the form on the right of the page or to arrange an appointment for a free initial consultation to discuss matters, please contact the head of our team Rachel Horman on 01254 67 22 22.

Call us today on

01254 67 22 22

Contact our Family Team

Related News

Our Family Team

Solicitor & Director
WR Solicitor & Director Jonathan Leach
Solicitor & Director
Angela Garvey Family Law Solicitor Watson Ramsbottom
Kalya Parker-Livesey Watson Ramsbottom Solicitors

Related Pages

Divorce and Dissolution of Civil Partnerships

Here at Watson Ramsbottom we believe that divorce doesn’t have to be acrimonious. Mediation is encouraged and we look to achieving the best…

Finances and Property

The courts look at various considerations in deciding who should get what upon separation and the law is different depending on whether you were married or…

Prenuptial Agreements & Cohabitation Agreements

Although not necessarily always binding the courts are looking at these agreements more and more especially where the marriage / civil partnership…

Legal Aid

We are proud to have had a high quality Legal Aid franchise for many years. We are able to grant emergency Legal Aid to enable clients to get to court the same…

Domestic Abuse

The  Domestic Violence, Stalking and Forced Marriage department contains specialist advisors who enable victims of domestic abuse to receive…

Domestic Violence and Children

Children are often the forgotten victims of domestic violence and it is estimated that at least 750,000 children a year witness domestic violence…

Forced Marriage Protection Orders

The  Domestic Violence, Stalking and Forced Marriage department contains specialist advisors who enable victims of domestic abuse to receive…

Stalking, Cyber Stalking and Harassment

Stalking, cyber stalking and harassment can take place at school, within the work place and within Family relationships.  At Watson Ramsbottom we can help…

Criminal Injuries Compensation for Domestic Violence Victims

It may be possible to apply for compensation if you or someone you know has been hurt in a violent crime in the past two years. Watson Ramsbott…

Social Services Involvement

If you have social services involved with the children we can help steer you through this worrying time. John Swanney heads up the childcare department and…


If you require advice in relation to a family matter, we recommend that you also take the opportunity to discuss your circumstances with our Private…